China Newsbase
Fast, easy search of the China news that matters
The China News Database was last updated at 01:50PM on November 9, 2023.
Database searches currently perform best when a tag filter is used. We suggest trying out these tags: Xi Jinping, Russia, Taiwan, COVID-19, climate change, electric vehicles, gaming, IPOs, Belt and Road Initiative.
You may also filter by articles featured in our daily members-only Access newsletter, to get a curated overview of the top news and analysis about Chinese politics, business, and society. Select one option:
- All top news and analysis
- The China Project top news and analysis
- Top news and analysis from elsewhere — Stories in the “News briefing,” previously known as “Recommended links”
This product is in beta testing and development. If you would like to share feedback on the content or user experience, please email editors@thechinaproject.com.
1,367 articles matching the search query.
Exclusive: French limits on Huawei 5G equipment amount to de facto ban by 2028
French authorities have told telecoms operators planning to buy Huawei 5G equipment that they won't be able to renew licences for the gear once they expire, effectively phasing the Chinese firm out of mobile networks, three sources close to the matter said.
July 22, 2020 Source: U.S.
If Nokia, Ericsson can operate in China, EU must return favour: Beijing
China’s foreign ministry spokesman calls ‘fake news’ on report that Beijing is considering export reprisal against European telecoms if EU bans Huawei.
July 21, 2020 Source: South China Morning Post
Most Canadians think Trudeau should rely less on trade with China: Ipsos poll - National | Globalnews.ca
A majority of Canadians believe the Trudeau government should rely less on trade with China and diversify to other countries, according to an Ipsos poll released Tuesday.
July 21, 2020 Source: Global News
WSJ News Exclusive | China May Retaliate Against Nokia and Ericsson If EU Countries Move to Ban Huawei
Beijing is considering retaliating against the Chinese operations of two major European telecommunication-equipment manufacturers, Nokia and Ericsson, should European Union members follow the lead of the U.S. and U.K. in barring China’s Huawei from 5G networks.
July 20, 2020 Source: WSJ
Analysis | The Cybersecurity 202: Huawei accuses U.S. government of hacking it and threatening its employees
The Chinese telecom ups its public relations battle.
July 17, 2020 Source: Washington Post
The Cybersecurity 202: Huawei's access to 5G could expand China's surveillance state, cyber diplomat warns
Chinese telecom companies should be banned from next-generation networks, Rob Strayer says.
July 17, 2020 Source: Washington Post
U.S. Weighs Sweeping Travel Ban on Chinese Communist Party Members (Published 2020)
The presidential order under consideration would be based on the same statute in the Immigration and Nationality Act used in a 2017 travel ban on several predominantly Muslim countries.
July 15, 2020 Source: The New York Times
US to restrict visas for employees of Huawei, other Chinese tech firms
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said his department was targeting employees of Huawei and possibly other Chinese technology companies for their role in enabling human rights abuses at home and abroad.
July 15, 2020 Source: South China Morning Post
Huawei: China attacks UK's 'groundless' ban of 5G kit
The UK cited security risks - but China says it is "an excuse to co-operate with the United States".
July 15, 2020 Source: BBC News
Chinese media calls for 'pain' over UK Huawei ban as Trump claims credit
Global Times mouthpiece says Beijing must respond or be seen as ‘easy to bully’
July 15, 2020 Source: the Guardian
China warns UK: 'Dumping' Huawei will cost you
China warned British Prime Minister Boris Johnson on Wednesday that his decision to ban Huawei from the 5G network would cost Britain dearly in investment, casting the move as the result of politicised pressure from U.S. President Donald Trump.
July 15, 2020 Source: U.S.
Canada faces pressure to ban Huawei after UK ruling risks marooning Ottawa
Ex-diplomat Charles Burton says it will now be difficult for Canada to approve Huawei and distinguish itself from its Five Eyes allies.
July 14, 2020 Source: South China Morning Post
Huawei decision 'may delay 5G by three years and cost UK £7bn'
Experts say small towns and rural areas will be hardest hit by UK ditching Chinese firm
July 14, 2020 Source: the Guardian
China's Huawei says Italy should not act on 'baseless allegations'
China's Huawei Technologies defended its record as a private sector infrastructure group on Thursday following reports Italy was considering excluding it from building its planned 5G network over security concerns.
July 9, 2020 Source: U.S.
Britain jeopardising China relationship, says Huawei's UK boss
Britain risks throwing away its long-standing relationship with China if it bans Huawei from its 5G networks at the behest of the United States as part of a global battle for technological supremacy, the UK chairman of the tech group told Reuters.
July 7, 2020 Source: U.S.
TikTok Maker Seeks to Strike Balance as China, U.S. Step Up Geopolitical Pressure
The Chinese maker of TikTok, the popular short-video platform, said it would pull its app out of Hong Kong amid concerns about a new national-security law, its second market exit in as many weeks.
July 7, 2020 Source: WSJ
China’s digitisation has been accelerated by Covid-19: SCMP CIR 2020
China’s push for self-reliance in strategic technologies such as AI and semiconductors amid escalating tech tensions remains another key theme.
July 6, 2020 Source: South China Morning Post
Chinese ambassador: UK ban on Huawei would damage trust
Liu Xiaoming also defends Beijing’s stance on Hong Kong, warning UK not to interfere in China’s affairs
July 6, 2020 Source: the Guardian
Huawei News: U.K. Prepares for 5G Phase-Out
Prime Minister Boris Johnson is preparing to begin phasing out the use of Huawei Technologies Co. equipment in the U.K.’s 5G telecoms network as soon as this year, a person familiar with the matter said.
July 5, 2020 Source: Bloomberg
U.S. FCC issues final orders declaring Huawei, ZTE national security threats
The Federal Communications Commission on Tuesday formally designated Chinese's Huawei Technologies Co and ZTE Corp as posing threats to U.S. national security, a declaration that bars U.S. firms from tapping an $8.3 billion government fund to purchase equipment...
June 30, 2020 Source: U.S.