China Newsbase
Fast, easy search of the China news that matters
The China News Database was last updated at 01:50PM on November 9, 2023.
Database searches currently perform best when a tag filter is used. We suggest trying out these tags: Xi Jinping, Russia, Taiwan, COVID-19, climate change, electric vehicles, gaming, IPOs, Belt and Road Initiative.
You may also filter by articles featured in our daily members-only Access newsletter, to get a curated overview of the top news and analysis about Chinese politics, business, and society. Select one option:
- All top news and analysis
- The China Project top news and analysis
- Top news and analysis from elsewhere — Stories in the “News briefing,” previously known as “Recommended links”
This product is in beta testing and development. If you would like to share feedback on the content or user experience, please email editors@thechinaproject.com.
125 articles matching the search query.
China’s ties with Canada remain deadlocked over fate of detainees
Canada’s new foreign minister insists that the release of Michael Kovrig and Michael Spavor is an ‘absolute priority’ while Beijing demands Meng Wanzhou be released.
November 25, 2019 Source: South China Morning Post
China says lifting of ban on meat imports not a sign of better relations with Canada
Chinese spokesperson continues to urge Canadian authorities to release Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou
November 7, 2019 Source: The Globe and Mail
‘The chill is real’: less than a third of Canadians view China favourably
University of British Columbia survey also found half of Canadians did not want Huawei to play major role supplying country’s 5G network equipment.
November 4, 2019 Source: South China Morning Post
Canada’s new ambassador to China meets detained pair
Dominic Barton visits Michael Kovrig and Michael Spavor who were held on spying charges after the arrest of Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou in December.
October 29, 2019 Source: South China Morning Post
Canada lawyer says border agents gave Meng’s passwords to police by mistake
Meng’s legal team says the fact that the passwords to her electronic devices were passed along shows that her rights were abused.
October 1, 2019 Source: South China Morning Post
Canada police feared Meng fleeing via consulate and private airport, notes suggest
Sergeant’s handwritten notes released by Canadian government lawyers describe concerns that police ‘could not act’ if Meng escaped.
October 1, 2019 Source: South China Morning Post
Canada lawyer mocks ‘movie trailer’ abuse claim by Meng Wanzhou’s lawyers
Crown lawyers deny that Meng’s rights were abused by Canada border officials or that they should hand over more documents.
September 30, 2019 Source: South China Morning Post
Lawyers for Meng Wanzhou say her search at Canadian border was bogus
The hearing is adjourned until Monday, when crown lawyers will continue arguments opposing the defence request to disclose more documents about Meng’s arrest.
September 25, 2019 Source: South China Morning Post
Lawyers predict extradition case for Huawei’s Meng Wanzhou could take up to a decade and set Charter precedent
Meng’s deep pockets and novel two-pronged approach mean what can already be a years-long process will likely take even longer, experts say.
September 22, 2019 Source: thestar.com
Judge releases video of Meng Wanzhou being searched at Canada airport
Documents filed by Meng’s counsel made public for ‘maximum transparency’, while the lawyer seeking Huawei executive’s extradition to US to face sanctions busting charges must file submissions by September 17.
August 21, 2019 Source: South China Morning Post
Canadian police investigate laboratory after Chinese scientist removed
University of Manitoba has cut ties with Qiu Xiangguo, a noted Ebola researcher, after she was escorted from National Microbiology Lab in Winnipeg.
July 16, 2019 Source: South China Morning Post
Canadian citizen detained in China as row continues over Huawei chief
Beijing arrests Canadian citizen on drug-related charges amid diplomatic crisis, following detention of Meng Wanzhou
July 15, 2019 Source: the Guardian
After arrest and isolation, China seizes Kovrig’s reading glasses
Trudeau says he raised detention of Canadians with Xi Jinping at the G20 summit and added he is ‘confident’ that Trump followed through on his promise to press the Chinese President on plight of Kovrig, Spavor
July 2, 2019 Source: The Globe and Mail
China halts all meat imports from Canada over ‘forged pork certificates’
Canada agrees to suspend permits for meat exports to China after Chinese bans on pork from several Canadian firms, as the two countries remain at loggerheads since the arrest of Huawei’s Sabrina Meng Wanzhou in December.
June 25, 2019 Source: South China Morning Post
Huawei Iran-Sanctions Evidence Deemed Too Risky for China to See
(Bloomberg) -- Some evidence used to charge Huawei Technologies Co. with bank fraud and violating U.S. sanctions on Iran was deemed so sensitive that the Chinese telecom giant’s lawyers must now take unusual steps to review the information -- and even then, the company may never see it.While specific evidence wasn’t disclosed, prosecutors convinced a federal judge that releasing too much would pose a risk to national security and other governmental concerns. The U.S. already had banned the company’s technology and accused Huawei of aiding Beijing in espionage. Last week, the court imposed restrictions on when and how information in the criminal case gets shared, and who can see it.“What underlies all of this is the allegation that there are deep and close connections between Huawei and the Chinese government,” said Ryan Fayhee, a former Justice Department national security lawyer. “That’s why this presents differently than a traditional fraud case.”The Huawei prosecution has forced government lawyers to balance evidence rules and a defendant’s right to a fair trial, while safeguarding intelligence gathering. A similar dilemma has threatened to undermine a case brought by Special Counsel Robert Mueller against 16 individuals and companies in Russia over election meddling, because the government is refusing to disclose some sensitive evidence.For now, the Huawei case is proceeding with disclosures to the company’s American defense lawyers under restrictions set June 10 by U.S. District Judge Ann Donnelly in Brooklyn, New York. On Wednesday, she scheduled a Sept. 4 hearing to decide whether one Huawei lawyer, James M. Cole, should be disqualified because he had access to classified data when he worked as a Deputy Attorney General of the U.S. from 2011 to 2015. Cole, now a partner at Sidley Austin LLP, has said he has no conflict.Criminal ProbeAs the criminal case against Huawei moves forward, the prosecution of its chief financial officer, Meng Wanzhou, remains on hold. She is fighting extradition from Vancouver, Canada, after being arrested at the request of the U.S. last year. She is accused of defrauding banks when she made a presentation to one of its major banking partners and lied about by lying Huawei’s business dealings in Iran, in violation of U.S. sanctions.Prosecutor Alexander Solomon disclosed on Wednesday that the company’s defense lawyers, who have received at least 700,000 pages of evidence turned over by the U.S. in the New York case, want to share some of the information with Meng’s defense team. The U.S. has said that Meng wouldn’t be permitted to see evidence until a separate order is worked out with her lawyers.Meng’s billionaire father, Huawei founder Ren Zhengfei, has rejected the U.S. accusations against the company and his daughter. On Monday, Ren said the U.S. sanctions against Huawei -- one of the world’s largest makers of smartphones and networking equipment -- could reduce revenue by about $30 billion over the next two years, wiping out any growth prospects by withholding critical American technology.The indictment against Huawei and Meng also mentions Ren, a former engineer with the People’s Liberation Army before he founded the telecommunications company. Prosecutors say he lied to FBI agents in 2007 when he “falsely stated” it had no business dealings in Iran. He hasn’t been criminally charged. The same day Meng, Huawei and its U.S. subsidiaries where charged with violating sanctions, prosecutors filed a separate case in Seattle accusing the company with stealing trade secrets from American rival T-Mobile.Under the restrictions imposed by Donnelly, some evidence labeled “sensitive” by the government can’t be distributed beyond Huawei’s legal team, can only be accessed by certain witnesses in the presence of American lawyers, and must remain in the U.S. If there are disputes over evidence handling, a separate group of government lawyers not involved in the prosecution can be consulted or the judge can get involved.David Bitkower, a lawyer for Huawei, declined to comment on the case, as did John Marzulli, a spokesman for Brooklyn U.S. Attorney Richard Donoghue.The rules are even tighter for classified information, and evidence gathered under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act will require a separate process to determine what the defense will be able to view, prosecutors said in a court filing Monday.Unusual RestrictionsDonnelly’s order includes unusual restrictions, even for sanctions cases, legal experts said.Some of the evidence can only be reviewed by defense lawyers who are U.S. citizens, because the information could identify potential witnesses or contains “national security” material, prosecutors say. Those documents must be stored on a computer that isn’t connected to the Internet and can’t be taken or transmitted outside the country or shared with Huawei.If Huawei lawyers want to share sensitive material with anyone outside the U.S., they must notify the government. There are also provisions for allowing foreign nationals to view the evidence in the U.S., including with safe-passage guarantees against arrest. There also are options for reviewing information outside the country, but only in the presence of U.S. defense lawyers.Without such provisions, Huawei could accuse the U.S. of hampering its ability to defend itself, said Henry Mazurek, a partner at law firm Meister Seelig and Fein LLP in New York.Huawei’s close ties to the Chinese government have impacted the willingness of the U.S. to share evidence with the company, but prosecutors are obligated to turn over evidence, said Fayhee, the former federal prosecutor.“The government has the view, as also substantiated by its recent blacklisting, that Huawei is an arm of the Chinese government,” Fayhee said. “The founder of the company served nearly a decade as an engineer with the People’s Liberation Army, and continued connections have been regularly alleged. But that’s what the government signed up for when it decided to bring this case.”The case is U.S. v. Huawei Technologies Co., 18-cr-457, U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York (Brooklyn).(Updates with Huawei wanting to show Meng evidence in seventh paragraph.)To contact the reporter on this story: Patricia Hurtado in Federal Court in Manhattan at pathurtado@bloomberg.netTo contact the editors responsible for this story: David Glovin at dglovin@bloomberg.net, Steve Stroth, Peter BlumbergFor more articles like this, please visit us at bloomberg.com©2019 Bloomberg L.P.
June 19, 2019 Source: Yahoo
Canada sends delegation to China to press for release of detained citizens
Beijing is ‘making stronger moves to get its own way’, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says as he vows to keep up pressure on China.
May 21, 2019 Source: South China Morning Post
Globe editorial: China is changing the geopolitical climate. Canada has to mitigate, and adapt
The irony is that the Trudeau government came into office criticizing the Harper Conservatives for being too critical of China. The Liberals pitched deeper engagement with Beijing as the key to prosperity. The new team in Ottawa appeared to be blissfully clueless about the regime they were trying so hard to get into bed with
May 16, 2019 Source: The Globe and Mail
Canadians held in China since December formally arrested for spying
Pair accused of gathering state secrets and providing them to foreign forces, foreign ministry says.
May 16, 2019 Source: South China Morning Post
Months before Canada arrested Meng, US had quietly detained another Chinese national
Two months before a Huawei executive was arrested in Canada for allegedly violating US sanctions, a Chinese national was detained in Washington, DC on similar suspicions.
May 11, 2019 Source: South China Morning Post
U.S. senator says Canadians Kovrig, Spavor face 'harsh' treatment in China
China is detaining two Canadians in harsh conditions and U.S. lawmakers won't rest until they are freed, says a powerful Republican senator.
May 10, 2019 Source: CTVNews